Python's "only one way to do it" philosophy isn't good?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 13 16:49:04 EDT 2007

"Steve Howell" <showell30 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:725498.90657.qm at web33511.mail.mud.yahoo.com...

| You would just change the language definition to say
| that once you enter f(), any call to f() from within
| f() behaves as if the recursively called f() still
| points to the originally bound version of f.

I am pretty sure such a context-dependent rule cannot be written as a
context-free grammar rule.  In any case, the function object does not exist
when code is being compiled to a code object.  So this requires
implementation-dependent post-patching of the code object.  R.
Hetchinger(sp?) posted a Cookbook recipe for doing this for CPython.
Anyone wanting the speedup (with CPython) can use it.

tjr