The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

JackT jackt123 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 20:48:47 EDT 2007

On Jun 25, 12:32 am, Twisted <twisted... at gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like there are
> several utterly different pieces of software that have one thing in
> common - the name "emacs"...
>
> > When you start emacs in a text console, you see this:
> >
> >  Welcome to GNUEmacs, one component of the GNU/Linux operating system.
> >  Get help           C-h  (Hold down CTRL and press h)
> >  Emacsmanual       C-h r
> >  Emacstutorial     C-h t           Undo changes     C-x u
>
> Really? That is not what I recall seeing. Are you talking aboutemacs-
> the-text-mode-editor, oremacs-the-hybrid-somethingorother-when-you-
> happen-to-run-it-from-the-command-prompt-on-unix? Because I've been
> discussing the former.

Everyone now uses http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
or a minor derivative of it.

Its official distribution FTP location is
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/

And for the Windows port, the official FTP is here
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/

We don't care about the 1970 version of Emacs,
because of course back then there WAS NO GUI.

- JackT