Windows XP timezone language issue

Paul Sijben paul.sijben at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 13 02:31:33 EDT 2007

I ran into an internationalization issue. I need a consistent idea about
the timezone my application is running on. However when I run the following:
 >>> import time
 >>> time.tzname

I get back ('West-Europa (standaardtijd)', 'West-Europa (zomertijd)')
which is in dutch (the language of the host machine) and verbose.
I wanted to get ('CEST','CET') or something international so I can work
with itin the same way on all platforms.

That is the right way to find out the timezone in a consistent way
across platforms (windows/linux/mac) and languages?

Paul