The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

notbob notbob at nothome.com
Thu Jun 21 12:26:59 EDT 2007

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.emacs.]

> If you'd spent half an hour using the tutorial (helpfully displayed
> right there when you start emacs), you could have saved three and a half
> hours of wasted time.  And you'd now be using an actual text editor,
> which is often helpful.

Your statement is obviously based on your assumption everyone has as
good a memory as you.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case.  I
came to emacs as a geezer with a less than sterling short term memory.
I got about 8 keystrokes into the tutorial before I was lost.  I
finally had to start a cheat sheet.  It's also a PIA to read a
tutorial and practice in another window until you know how to
open/close/juggle said windows.  I never did get much from emacs'
tutorial.  It also took me awhile to train my pinkies to reach for
that until-now-unused Ctrl key.  No, using emacs is not trivial.  It's
a learned skill that requires some effort.  More for some than others.
In emacs', defense, it's a helluva lot more intuitive than vi, which
is a nightmare straight from Hell!

nb