DFW Pythoneers Meeting THIS Saturday

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Wed Jun 20 09:40:21 EDT 2007

In article <5dsmh6F35u7ubU1 at mid.uni-berlin.de>,
Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>Joe Riopel wrote:
>
>>> Precisely what? You complained that the OP didn't provide the location
>>> of the event, which he did.
>>
>> Well, where is DFW?
>
>Google, first hit:
>
>The Dallas Ft. Worth Pythoneers
>
>They even have their own website. So - what's the fuss about? The BayPIGgies
>also announce their meetings here. I don't mind, even though Berlin is
>about 10-12 hours away on a jet-plane.
			.
			.
			.
The upset surprises me, too.  I appreciate people who esteem Usenet
enough to help "police" specific newsgroups, discouraging traffic in
marginal content best handled elsewhere.  On the other hand,
comp.lang.python has a tradition of productive announcements of local
events, "DFW" is both *very* meaningful to the target audience, and,
as noted, 'bout as easy to decipher with the help of Google as
anything can be.

Beyond all that, there's particular value in announcements like this
because they *are* of regional, rather than local, significance.  By
that I mean I know of several cases where Pythoneers from somewhere
else in the US (or even, in a couple of cases, other countries) have
been traveling, and found it possible to schedule a visit with a local
interest group.  That's neat!  Dallas gets a lot of traffic because
it's an airline hub, and close moreover to fellow computing-industry
centers in Austin and Houston (and, to a lesser extent, San Antonio
and El Paso).