The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Joel J. Adamson jadamson at partners.org
Fri Jun 29 09:35:30 EDT 2007

blmblm at myrealbox.com <blmblm at myrealbox.com> writes:

> I find Windows and its tools as frustrating as you seem to find
> Unix, but I strongly suspect that being shown the ropes by someone
> who understands and likes the system would help a lot.  <shrug>

I feel the same way about Windows being frustrating, however I find
that having a Windows "expert" around helps very little.  Heck, *I*
was a Windows expert for as long as I was using it.  I always found it
to be totally opaque.  It always seemed like the only way to make
things work was to BUY something --- something that really offended
me.  It became clear to me quickly that Windows is basically a
billboard on a CRT --- the help files only told me to buy stuff, or
how "fun and easy" it was to do something, without actually saying how
to do it.  When I got XP and wanted to change my desktop theme ---
guess what?  They decided to start charging for that too.

With Windows I never got it; with Unix of any kind (linux, SunOS,
etc), I have felt like I got it right away.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

*Joel's guide to sending attachments:
1.  put all the files you want to send in a folder and archive the
folder using tar, then compress it with gzip or bzip2
2.  please send me .pdf, .html, or text in place of Word documents:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/sylvester-response.html

*Did you know there's a FREE alternative to using word processors?
http://www.edafe.org/latex/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX
http://nitens.org/taraborelli/latex