Encoding problem with web application (Paste+Mako)

Rob Wolfe rw at smsnet.pl
Wed Jun 6 03:45:24 EDT 2007

msj at infoserv.dk wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a problem with encoding non-ascii characters in a web
> application. The application uses Paste and Mako.
>
> The code is here: http://www.webudkast.dk/demo.txt
>
> The main points are:
>
> After getting some user generated input using
> paste.request.parse_formvars, how should this be correctly saved to
> file?
>
> How should this afterward be read from the file, and fed correctly
> into a Mako template?

You have to know the encoding of user input and then you
can use ``input_encoding`` and ``output_encoding`` parameters
of ``Template``. Mako internally handles everything as Python unicode
objects.
For example:

t = Template(filename="templ.mako", input_encoding="iso-8859-2",
             output_encoding="iso-8859-2")
content = t.render(**context)

--
HTH,