subexpressions (OT: math)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jun 4 04:49:31 EDT 2007

Wildemar Wildenburger wrote:

> So  in each term of the sum you have a derivative of f, which in the
> case of the sine function translates to sine and cosine functions at the
> point 0. It's not like you're rid of the function just by doing a
> polynomial expansion. The only way to *solve* this is to forbid x from
> having a dimension. At least *I* see no other way. Do you?

That was precisely his point.  The Maclaurin series (not MacLaurin) only
makes any sense if the independent variable is dimensionless.  And thus,
by implication, so it is also the case for the original function.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.
    -- John F. Kennedy