Detecting an active exception

NeBlackCat lists at asd-group.com
Fri Jun 1 22:29:07 EDT 2007

Thanks Duncan - that does clear things up for me on how sys.exc_info()
it actually works!

But it does seem that there is no way to test "am I currently running in
the scope of handling of an exception", which is what I need. If there
was, I could then rely on sys.exc_info() to examine the exception. I'm
implementing something which has to do one thing if called during
exception handling, and another otherwise (and there's no way to
explicitly pass a flag to indicate the situation).

I'm surprised by there apparently not being such a test, I wonder if I
should do a PEP to ask for this feature.

If anyone does know a way to do it in the current implementation, even
by stack examining, I'd love to hear it! :-)

Cheers
- John