SimplePrograms challenge

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 19:16:36 EDT 2007

--- infidel <saint.infidel at gmail.com> wrote:

> # reading CSV files, tuple-unpacking
> import csv
>
> #pacific.csv contains:
> #1,CA,California
> #2,AK,Alaska
> #3,OR,Oregon
> #4,WA,Washington
> #5,HI,Hawaii
>
> reader = csv.reader(open('pacific.csv'))
> for id, abbr, name in reader:
>     print '%s is abbreviated: "%s"' % (name, abbr)

Definitely on track.

I like that it uses a batteries-included module, and
this program definitely reminds me of the type of
smallish, but very useful, programs that I write in
Python frequently on the job.

I would add one more criterion to my challenge,
though.  You should be able to run the program simply
by copying/pasting the code into a file and running
Python.  So I would change your program (as currently
presented) to write its own input file for
demonstration purposes.

One more suggestion--maybe it could exercise a little
more of the CVS module, i.e. have something in the
data that would trip up the ','.split() approach?