Want to learn Python

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Sat Jun 16 00:23:33 EDT 2007

7stud <bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The reference book "Python in a Nutshell" is excellent, however its
> index is so bad I hesitate to recommend it.  A reference book should
> have a thorough index--you shouldn't have to hunt through the chapters
> trying to find the particular topic you are interested in.

Try <http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search> -- it will easily
generate for you queries on books.google.com such as, e.g.:
    generator inauthor:"alex martelli"
to find 3 mentions of "generator" in the Nutshell and Cookbook.  Not
quite a replacement for a good index, of course (you're welcome to write
O'Reilly spewing hate on how much you loathe that index - maybe that
will help convince them to put more time and effort into indexing on
their future projects, or offer some way for book authors to add
indexing indications as they write their books), but it still seems
potentially helpful.

Alex