PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sat Jun 30 15:30:03 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin a écrit :
> Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr> writes:
>
>>>    [A type system is a] tractable syntactic method for proving the
>>>    absence of certain program behaviors by classifying phrases
>>>    according to the kinds of values they compute. (Pierce 2002)."
>>
>>Is this supposed to contradict my assertion that *static* typing is
>>for compilers ?
>
> Yes, the main benefit these days is to prove the absence of certain
> types of bugs in the program.

As someone said, if declaring types thrices was enough to ensure
correctness, I'd happily do so.

I still maintain that the primary *practical* reason behind static
typing is to provide optimization clues for the compiler. You can (or at
least could) have declarative static typing with very few type
*checking* - I may be wrong here but I think one could even write a C
compiler without *any* type checking. Heck, the programmer said it's a
char*, so it must be one, right ?-) Of course, no one in it's own mind
would use such a compiler (if you have to suffer from the restrictions
imposed by static typing, you want to also profit from it's benefices -
or at least avoid the possibly dramatic effects of a type error in these
systems). Also, some (mostly) dynamically typed languages have grown
type-annotations for the very same reason : hinting the compiler about
possible optimizations.

wrt/ proofs of correctness, I'll just point to the spectacular failure
of Ariane, which was caused by a *runtime* type error in a system
programmed in ADA - one of the languages with the most psychorigid
declarative static type systems. Not to say these proofs are inexistant,
just that they are IMHO a bit overvalued - at least wrt/ to my daily
concerns. Most of the errors I have to deal with are logical errors, not
type errors, and given the kind of "logic" (err...) you can find in
business applications (to make a long story short : it has very few to
do with mathematics), I have some doubt about what a static type system
- even a _very_ smart one - could prove here, at least if we hope to
deliver the application within time and budget constraints (sorry for
being soo practical here).

> The article "What To Know Before Debating Type Systems" is pretty
> informative (though it doesn't go as far as to call C/C++ untyped):
>
>    http://cdsmith.twu.net/types.html

Quote :
"""
Therefore: I give the following general definitions for strong and weak
typing, at least when used as absolutes:

     * Strong typing: A type system that I like and feel comfortable with
     * Weak typing: A type system that worries me, or makes me feel
uncomfortable
"""

According to this definition, I herefore declare that Python is strongly
typed and Java weakly typed !-)

(sorry, couldn't resist).

More seriously, it's indeed an interesting article - even if I do not
necessarily share all the views of the author - for those not knowing
anything about type systems. But it's clearly a bit oriented and IMHO
fails to present the pros of dynamic typing.

BTW, if I may insert another quote, that I think is relevant here as
well as in another recent thread about 'typed' containers in Python:
"""
I find it amusing when novice programmers believe their main job is
preventing programs from crashing.  I imagine this spectacular failure
argument wouldn't be so appealing to such a programmer.  More
experienced programmers realize that correct code is great, code that
crashes could use improvement, but incorrect code that doesn't crash is
a horrible nightmare.
"""

>>>C and C++ are basically untyped languages.
>>
>>Hem... This assertion is at least debatable. Care to post this on
>>c.l.c or c.l.c++, so we get some feedback ?
>
> I wouldn't consider the aficionados of those dinosaur languages

Hmmm... For a dinausor, C seems well alive. Can you remind me which
language is used to implement CPython and most of actual operating
systems and low-level libraries ?

> to be
> authorities on such a question.

If you mean that most them aren't necessarily great CS theorists, then
you may be right. OTHO, they do have some practical experience with
these languages, so they might have something to say...