The Concepts and Confusions of Prefix, Infix, Postfix and Fully Functional Notations

Patricia Shanahan pats at acm.org
Mon Jun 11 20:57:35 EDT 2007

Twisted wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2:42 am, Joachim Durchholz <j... at durchholz.org> wrote:
>> It is possible to write maintainable Perl.
>
> Interesting (spoken in the tone of someone hearing about a purported
> sighting of Bigfoot, or maybe a UFO).
>
> Still, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. (And no, a
> fuzzy picture of something that might be a giant serpent-like thing in
> the loch, or equivalent, does not constitute "extraordinary
> evidence".)

How about "I caught a very small one, but it belonged to a former
employer, so I couldn't keep it for display."?

I wrote a Perl script to process logic analyzer traces for some hardware
engineers. While I was out of the office, they found they needed to
process a new record type. They didn't want to delay their work until I
got back, and one of the EEs knew Perl, so he modified my script.

The change was done correctly. It not only worked. Except for a couple
of comments calling my attention to the changes, it looked as though
the new record type had always been there.

Patricia