Building a Python app with Mozilla

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sat Jun 30 17:33:57 EDT 2007

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> Komodo is not a Python application. It is a Mozilla application that
> supports Python development. Komodo is more akin to Thunderbird and
> Firefox than anything else; it uses the XUL framework for rendering
> widgets, if I'm not mistaken. If you want to build an application like
> Komodo, get a book on developing with the Mozilla framework (XUL, XPCOM,
> and all that) and look at that. Python has little to do with that.

Most application logic in Komodo is implemented in Python, using the
PyXPCOM bindings. The UI is implemented using XUL and JavaScript. The
editor is Scintilla (C++).

../Komodo Edit.app/Contents/MacOS % find . -name "*.py" | xargs wc
126392  456858 4949602 total

This doesn't include the python code in the Python libraries themselves.

Cheers,
Brian