Date<->UNIX timestamp mapping (was Portable general timestamp format, not 2038-limited)

Martin Gregorie martin at see.sig.for.address
Tue Jun 26 18:59:32 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Martin Gregorie <martin at see.sig.for.address> writes:
>>> Same one already given: http://cr.yp.to/proto/utctai.html
>> <picky_mode>
>> Nope - you referenced leap seconds, not TAI and not that URL
>
> Oh whoops, I thought I put that url further up in the thread.
> I remember grumbling to myself about having to look for it twice.
> Maybe I'm just confused.  Anyway it's pretty interesting stuff,
> as is the Wikipedia article someone else linked to.

Thinking of interesting date & time related stuff, there's another
document I remember seeing a while back - probably around early '98. It
was an ASCII configuration file that contained to rules for mapping
human readable dates & times to UNIX timestamps after taking account of
changes of calendar (e.g. the switch between Julian and Gregorian
calendars), the introduction of daylight saving time, etc. I remember
that it was mostly comment interspersed with mapping rules and that the
comments were vast and fascinating, often including copies of e-mail
threads.

The file was part of a Linux distro, probably Debian. Some time later,
after I set up my first Linux system, I went looking for it without
success, probably because by that time (RedHat 6.2) the date mapping
rules had become encoded as some sort of binary rule set.

I'd very much like to know where I could find a copy of that file.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK