The Modernization of Emacs

notbob notbob at nothome.com
Thu Jun 21 11:30:03 EDT 2007

On 2007-06-21, Lew <lew at lewscanon.nospam> wrote:

> To the claim that "emacs is too hard for the beginner" we have a mounting pile
> of steaming evidence that refutes.  It may still be true that it is too hard
> for some beginners......

I point them to jed.  I, too, was overwhelmed by emacs, initially, but
can't stand vi so I had to do something.  jed was my savior.  It uses
many standard keys like backspace and the arrows, so newbs aren't so
confused.  When I finally became comfortable with the std emacs
keystrokes I got O'Reilly's great book and ventured into emacs.  Love
it.  But, still a rank newb and still use jed and slrn a lot till I
can learn to configure emacs like I want it.

vi, the heart of evil!

nb