Which XML?

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Mon Jun 25 16:25:58 EDT 2007

Paul Boddie wrote:
> On 25 Jun, 02:04, Bruno Barberi Gnecco
> <brunobgDELETET... at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>         I've found a lot of XML libraries for Python. Any advices on which
>> one to use (or *not* to use)? My requirements are: support for XPath,
>> stability (a must, segfaults are not an option), with DOM API and good
>> performance desirable.
>
> You might be interested in libxml2dom:
>
> http://www.python.org/pypi/libxml2dom
>
> It uses libxml2 under the covers, meaning that it has good performance
> and supports XPath, but I can't always guarantee stability: libxml2
> can get quite upset in some situations, but I've worked fairly hard to
> avoid triggering them.

True, that's actually pretty hard work. lxml also does loads of stuff under
the hood to keep libxml2 happy. But that's what a good Python wrapper is for:
keep the people who use it from worrying about segfaults and memory management
and let them concentrate on their own problems.

It's more important to make the users happy than the libs. :)

Stefan