Third-party libs in version control

Marcus mcshutterbug at dwx.com
Sat Jun 9 23:26:29 EDT 2007

Good evening,

I'm new to developing large subversion-controlled projects. This one
will involve a few third-party libraries like wxWidgets, and perhaps
Twisted. Ordinarily you could just install these into your system and
they'll end up globally (in Python's Lib/site-packages directory). Is it
proper practice to instead install the libraries into a separate [vendor
branch] of the repository and reference that instead?

I've read about vendor branches, and I'm under the impression that
you're supposed to do that /instead/ of installing the libraries
globally into Python's subdirectories... is that correct?

Marcus