Capturing stdout from a class method

Falcolas garrickp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:00:18 EDT 2007

I have a rather strange situation, and I'm not sure my brief
experience of Python will let me handle it properly.

The situation is this: I have a Java class "X" which I need to call in
a Jython script. The  output of "X" is sent to stdout using the java
call System.out. I need to capture this output, and preform tests on
it in the Jython script.

My first pass at a design involves two jython scripts. One (we'll call
it "Y") whose sole function is to instantiate and call "X", and die.
The second script will call "Y" using a method which captures stdout
to a pipe. The second script would then read the stdout from the pipe
and act accordingly.

Can anybody suggest a better way to handle this? The Java class, "X",
can not be modified for this test.