[JOB] Sr. Python Developer, Northern VA

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 22 14:32:47 EDT 2007

Anton Vredegoor wrote:
[...] I mean, not everyone is able to visit expensive
> high-profile hiring fests like pycon.

What! I resent that remark. PyCon was started precisely because I felt a
low-cost event would better encourage community involvement. If PyCon is
beyond your means that you clearly aren't looking to be hired as a
programmer ;-)

Seriously, I know that not everyone can afford to travel away for a
week's conference, but I've had reports that people *from the UK* have
found it cheaper to attend PyCon than the three-day Python UK event held
in concert with the ACCU (though that track is no longer purely Python
anyway, so things are changing).

> ... while I'd be immensely useful in a
> space telescope science institute or a genome database research
> institute or in an artists educational institute or in a psychological
> statistics institute or in a computer science or mathematics institute
> etc. there is no way people can see that, because they're thinking in
> resumes, job experience and formal education instead of in just asking
> themselves what needs to be done and can he do it.

With an attitude like the one you exhibit in your post I seriously doubt
that. "You've got to speculate to accumulate". If you don't have a dream
your dream can never come true. If you dream of being a paid programmer
then it's up to you to make it happen. There's no use standing around
saying "the world is all wrong so no-one will ever hire me".

See it from the employer's side. Their first problem after advertising a
vacancy is to get the numbers requiring interview down to manageable
proportions. This involves looking for reasons to reject applications.
If you can't make it on your resume/CV then try something more
attention-grabbing. Just don't sit there and whine :-)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden