Can sqlite read gzipped databases?

Paul Smith paul.smith at catugmt.com
Wed Mar 21 04:44:40 CET 2007

Hi,

I'd like to read a series of sqlite database files that have already been
gzipped and was wondering if this can be done on the fly. In other words, can
I avoid explicitly unzipping the file into another file, but instead get an
SQL connection to the zip file either directly (can't see an option to do
this) or to an object in memory resulting from unzipping, eg. (hypothetically);

import gzip
from sqlite3 import dbapi2 as sqlite

data = gzip.GzipFile('Mydbase.db.gz','r')
d = data.read()
cnx = sqlite.connect(d) # or .connect(data)
cur = cnx.cursor()
....etc

The above of course doesn't work, but just to give you the idea.

Thanks,
Paul