This web site creates a *popup window* => how fetch contents in a script?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Mar 7 00:32:06 EST 2007

En Tue, 06 Mar 2007 17:02:00 -0300, seberino at spawar.navy.mil
<seberino at spawar.navy.mil> escribió:

> On Mar 5, 10:38 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
> wrote:
>> En Tue, 06 Mar 2007 03:18:23 -0300, seber... at spawar.navy.mil
>> <seber... at spawar.navy.mil> escribió:
>>
>> > The following web page puts a report in a *popup window* by clicking
>> > the "Generate Report" button....
>>
>> >http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/printrep.asp?Symbol=BBBY
>>
>> > How can I grab this pop window page in a python script? (It doesn't
>> > seem to have a URL!?!)
>>
>> Of course it
>> has:http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/sreport.asp?Symbol=BBBY...
>> If your browser don't let you know the actual URL... try a better
>> browser
>> :)
>
> Sure I can grab the aforementioned URL's contents but what about the
> NEW contents in the NEW popup window that appears AFTER you press some
> form buttons?  How grab *that* ?

The above URL corresponds to the "NEW popup window that appears AFTER you
press some form buttons". In particular, that is what you get if you press
the "simple report" button (or something like that, I don't remember, and
if even you don't care to check it, me neither).

Anyway, I can think of 3 ways to get the info you want:
- select some options, try some buttons, and notice the URL on the
generated popup window. Luckily it's an HTTP GET and that URL is the only
info you need. (Again: if your browser isn't able to show you the URL, get
a better one!)
- same as above, but using a protocol sniffer to record the HTTP
requests/responses. This may be needed if HTTP POST is used instead.
- study the HTML+javascript code.

--
Gabriel Genellina