fine grain logging cotrol

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sat Mar 24 16:50:47 EDT 2007

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:29:34 -0400, "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org>
>

>> yes.  here is the code that fails.  I don't understand why the unbound
>> method.  what is really weird is that when I singlestep through the
>> code, it never seems to call filter_test.  it is like the method never
>> existed.
>>
> 	Among other things -- the init is never called... You have too many
> _ on it. Second, I suspect you needed to overload getLogger -- there is
> no code, that I could see that would /invoke/ a get_logger method.

get_logger does get called as part of the metaclass magic.  I don't
understand it well enough to explain but a debugger reveals some.  for
example, stepping through get_logger, I hit the first two statements but
after executing getLogger, I end up at logger.info.  this leads me to
believe that __new__ runs at the start of every method invocation (not
just at object creation).  I obviously need to read more on the topic.
I am really puzzled that get_logger never makes past getLogger but
hopefully insight will arrive.