string formatting: engineering notation

Darren Dale dd55 at
Wed Mar 14 21:14:15 CET 2007

Does anyone know if it is possible to represent a number as a string with
engineering notation (like scientific notation, but with 10 raised to
multiples of 3: 120e3, 12e-6, etc.). I know this is possible with the
decimal.Decimal class, but repeatedly instantiating Decimals is inefficient
for my application (matplotlib plotting library). If it is not currently
possible, do you think the python devs would be receptive to including
support for engineering notation in future releases?