PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Sun May 13 16:04:59 EDT 2007

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> It's also about being able to type names to use them in your own code
> (generally very difficult if not impossible for many non-Latin
> characters), or even be able to display them.  And no number of
> guidelines, suggestions, etc., against distributing libraries with
> non-Latin identifiers will stop it from happening, and *will* fragment
> the community as Anton (and others) have stated.

Ever noticed how the community is already fragmented into people working on
project A and people not working on project A? Why shouldn't the people
working on project A agree what language they write and spell their
identifiers in? And don't forget about project B, C, and all the others.

I agree that code posted to comp.lang.python should use english identifiers
and that it is worth considering to use english identifiers in open source
code that is posted to a public OS project site. Note that I didn't say "ASCII
identifiers" but plain english identifiers. All other code should use the
language and encoding that fits its environment best.

Stefan