Trying to choose between python and java

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Tue May 15 17:16:50 EDT 2007

Beliavsky a écrit :
> On May 15, 1:30 am, Anthony Irwin <nos... at noemailhere.nowhere> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>#5 someone said that they used to use python but stopped because the
>>language changed or made stuff depreciated (I can fully remember
>>which) and old code stopped working. Is code written today likely to
>>still work in 5+ years or do they depreciate stuff and you have to update?
>

> Because Python 3 will change the syntax of print to disallow
>
> print "Hello, world."
>
> a substantial fraction of Python programs in existence, including all
> of my programs, will be broken. Draw your own conclusions.

The fact that Py3K will be a "big cleanup" release is not new - it has
been clear for some years now that this would be the first release that
would break compatibility. Still GvR and the team seem to be making
their best to not avoid as much breakage as possible, clearly document
what will break, and if possible provide tools to ease migration.

I've been using Python since 1.5.2 and had no problem yet with upgrades.
I couldn't say so of some proprietary languages I've used, where each
minor release could potentially break something - not talking about
major ones that were certified to imply a full rewrite (and I'm not
talking of something as easily scriptable as replacing print statements
with a function or method call).