Python compared to other language

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat May 19 09:23:01 EDT 2007

walterbyrd wrote:
> On May 18, 8:28 pm, Steve Holden <s... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>
>> Surely the fact that Python is available on so many platforms implies
>> that C is a fairly portable language.
>
> Unless it's the same C code, I don't see how that means anything. If I
> write an app on Windows with C, and I rewrite the same app on UNIX
> with C - that doesn't mean the C code has been ported.
>
> My guess is that some of the C code used to develop Python is the same
> between the different Python distros, but much of the code is unique
> to the particular platform. If that is the case, then the C code may
> not be very portable.
>
> But, I can often take the same python code, and run it on MacOS,
> Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows. Often I can do this even if the app has a
> gui interface.

Perhaps you could try a more constructive approach in future.

The reason you can do this with Python is precisely because the
developers have ironed out the wrinkles between platforms by putting the
requisite conditionals in the C source. Which, by the way, is open in
case you ever feel like answering your own questions.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119