ipython environment question

Shane Geiger sgeiger at ncee.net
Tue May 8 10:30:00 EDT 2007

"""
I'm trying to import ipython shell (which works great!) to set some
variables and then run a function (which doesn't work).
It seems like such a simple thing.  Here's an example script to show
what I'm trying to do.

Run the script and then try to change the variable project_name from the
ipython prompt and then type create()
and the new value you assigned will *not* be used.  I tried to use "def
create(project_name = project_name):"  Even that didn't work.

What slight of hand is necessary?

import os, sys

project_name = 'python_packages'
group_name = 'sgeiger'
repo = '/var/svn'

def create(repo=repo,group_name=group_name,project_name=project_name):
#def create():
   #os.system("sudo mkdir -p " + repo )
   #os.system("sudo svnadmin create " + repo)
   #os.system("sudo chown -R " + group_name + " " + repo)
   print "sudo mkdir -p " + repo + '/' + project_name
   print "sudo svnadmin create " + repo + '/' + project_name
   print "sudo chown -R " + group_name + " " + repo + '/' + project_name

if __name__ == '__main__':
   sys.argv.append('-cl')
   from IPython.Shell import IPShellEmbed
   ipshell = IPShellEmbed()
   print "Please set these variables:  project_name, group_name   ...and
then type create()"
   ### I even tried to put all my
   ipshell() # this call anywhere in your program will start IPython

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy