PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Tue May 15 09:05:12 EDT 2007

* René Fleschenberg (Tue, 15 May 2007 14:50:41 +0200)
> Thorsten Kampe schrieb:
> > Just by repeating yourself you don't make your point more valid.
>
> You are doing just the same. Your argument that encouraging code-sharing
> is not a worthwhile goal is an ideologic one, just as the opposite
> argument is, too.

No, if you claim that something by itself is good and has to be
encouraged then you are obliged to prove or give arguments for that.

If I say that I don't think that something in general but only in
special case is a good thing that should be encouraged then I don't
have to proof or give special arguments for that.

If you say there is a man in the moon and I say there isn't then you
have to proof you point, not me.

> (I do think that code sharing is very different from
> sharing of material goods). That is why I do not think it makes alot of
> sense to argue about it. If you don't consider code sharing to be a
> value of its own, then that is of course also not an argument against
> this PEP. I just happen to have different beliefs.

Exactly. So whether this PEP encourages or discourages code sharing
(and I don't think it does either) has nothing to do with the value of
this PEP.