PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 00:11:08 EDT 2007

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:01:57 +0200, Rene Fleschenberg wrote:
>
> > Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch schrieb:
> >> You find it in the sources by the line number from the traceback and
> >> the letters can be copy'n'pasted if you don't know how to input them
> >> with your keymap or keyboard layout.
> >
> > Typing them is not the only problem. They might not even *display*
> > correctly if you don't happen to use a font that supports them.
>
> Then maybe you should catch up to the 21st century and install some fonts
> and a modern editor.

It's not just about fonts installed on my desktop.  I still do a _lot_
of debugging/code browsing remotely over terminal connections.  I
still often have to sit down at someone else's machine and help them
troubleshoot, often going through the stack trace for whatever package
they're using--and I don't have control over which fonts they decide
to install.  Even simple high-bit latin1 characters differ on vanilla
Windows machines vs. vanilla Linux/Mac machines.  I even sometimes
read code snippets on email lists and websites from my handheld, which
is sadly still memory-limited enough that I'm really unlikely to
install anything approaching a full set of Unicode fonts.