Code Explanation

rishi pathak mailmaverick666 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:38:46 EDT 2007

On 5/17/07, Robert Rawlins - Think Blue <robert.rawlins at thinkbluemedia.co.uk>
wrote:

>  Hello Guys,
>

> I'm currently working on a non-python project, and I'm trying to overcome
> a task of parsing a text file into a database and/or xml file. I've managed
> to find a parser example written in python, and I'm hoping to deconstruct
> the code methodology a bit so I can write it in another language. So I'm
> hoping someone can explain to me what these following bits of code are
> doing.
>

> lines = range(data.count("\n"))
>
> lined_data = data.split("\n")

eg:
data="abc\n123\ngh\nxyz\n"
data.split("\n") will give you an array(list in python) in the following
manner
['abc', '123', 'gh', 'xyz']

print "Read %i vendors, now processing" % data.count("(hex)")

> I've not used the split() function before, but it partly makes sense to
> me. What is that piece of code doing? 'Data' is the content of the text
> file, presumably the first line there is counting the number of lines in the
> file, but I don't get the rest of it.
>

> The rest of the code seems like a relatively simple set of loops, but it's
> just this splitting stuff that's got me confused.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Rob
>
> --

Regards--
Rishi Pathak
National PARAM Supercomputing Facility
Center for Development of Advanced Computing(C-DAC)
Pune University Campus,Ganesh Khind Road
Pune-Maharastra