Can I use Python instead of Joomla?

Alan Franzoni alan.franzoni_invalid at geemail.invalid
Wed May 2 17:30:20 EDT 2007

Il 2 May 2007 13:48:45 -0700, walterbyrd ha scritto:

> If I wanted to build a website with forums, news feeds, galleries,
> event calander, document managment, etc. I do so in Joomla easily.

You're using Joomla, which is a CMS written in PHP.

Python is a language, you should ask 'can I use Python instead of PHP'.

There are various Python CMSes lying around, you already got the link from
the Python wiki. Now, you should check if they offer the same level of
functionality and support that Joomla offers - and it may or may not be the
case; consider that Joomla and Mambo have been around since years, while
Python cmses and web frameworks are relatively young.

Finally, Django is a framework, not a CMS. It is used to create websites
and may be used to actually create CMSes.

Now the important part: if you're not a PHP programmer, you can still use
Joomla. You just download it, follow the instructions, plug in any
pre-packed addon, and use it. You could probably do the very same with some
of the Python CMSes around.

Django is different: you must be able to program Python in order to use it.
Nothing works from the beginning, since it's not a CMS: you must code it.

--
Alan Franzoni <alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com>
-