Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Apr 30)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Tue May 1 07:21:44 EDT 2007

In article <1177974549_23503 at sp12lax.superfeed.net>,
Roger Upole <rupole at hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Cameron Laird" <claird at lairds.us> wrote in message
>news:961ig4-hti.ln1 at lairds.us...
>> In article <1177963548_23061 at sp12lax.superfeed.net>,
>> Roger Upole <rupole at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>>While this is indeed a nice turn of phrase, in substance it's incorrect.
>>>You can marshal a live COM object and unmarshal it on a different
>>>machine.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> ... but the *references* in that object are unlikely to be
>> meaningful on the second machine (or, in many cases, on the
>> original machine, if at a sufficiently later time).
>
>In practice, you can marshal and unmarshal an object as complex
>as Excel.Application which contains references to literally hundreds
>of objects.
			.
			.
			.
This surprises me; it's different from my experience.
There's a lot I have to learn about COM and DCOM, though,
so I thank you for the correction.

The larger point, which you aptly reinforced, is that
"Python-URL!"'s aim is not so much to teach facts as to
provoke thought.  We're successful when conversations
like this ensue.