Trying to choose between python and java

Anthony Irwin nospam at noemailhere.nowhere
Tue May 15 21:21:04 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Thanks to all that replied.

I noticed that someone said that the way you used regular expressions
changed at some point. That is probably what upset the person I was
talking to about python they are a huge perl fan and use regular
expressions heavily.

The reason for asking about the .jar type functionality was to try and
make it easier to distribute the application as some people said. I
run linux systems and if I want to give the app to a windows user then
I don't really want to muck about trying to create a windows install
for them as I don't personally have a copy of windows to do it with so
I thought that just giving them one file and telling them to install
the run time environment would make it easier.

I tend to use the shebang #!/usr/bin/env python in my scripts so far
but I imagine that having that would not work on say windows. Or is
there some kind of file extension association for people running
windows instead of the shebang?

I saw on the python site a slide from 1999 that said that python was
slower then java but faster to develop with is python still slower
then java?

--
Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin