PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu May 17 08:47:08 EDT 2007

Hendrik van Rooyen <mail at microcorp.co.za> wrote:
>"Sion Arrowsmith" <si.. at ch...end.org.uk> wrote:
>>Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
>>>I still don't like the thought of the horrible mix of "foreign"
>>>identifiers and English keywords, coupled with the English
>>>sentence construction.
>>How do you think you'd feel if Python had less in the way of
>>(conventionally used) English keywords/builtins. Like, say, Perl?
>Would not like it at all, for the same reason I don't like re's -
>It looks like random samples out of alphabet soup to me.

What I meant was, would the use of "foreign" identifiers look so
horrible to you if the core language had fewer English keywords?
(Perhaps Perl, with its line-noise, was a poor choice of example.
Maybe Lisp would be better, but I'm not so sure of my Lisp as to
make such an assertion for it.)

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
        -- Arthur C. Clarke