My newbie annoyances so far

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com
Sun May 6 23:01:35 EDT 2007

Alex Martelli:

> Can you run a generic benchmark "inside the current implementation of
> Flash" to check out its Javascript performance?  I can't, so, ...

    I can't either (without going to a lot of effort) so here is a page
comparing SpiderMonkey and Tamarin from someone with an adobe.com address:

http://www.playercore.com/pub/Tamarin/Avmplus_vs._javascript.htm

    The median improvement for Tamarin over SpiderMonkey is better than
2:1 and for Tamarin with type declarations better than 4:1.  There are
some tests with much more noticeable results but overall we're not
looking at C or Lisp compiler levels of performance even with type
declarations.

    Neil