Python and GUI

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon May 21 15:36:16 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 18:23 +0200, Petr Muller wrote:
> There's PyQt thingy, imho very good and easy to learn/use, but still
> powerful. I've used it for a small gui-oriented project with almost no
> problems and it worked like a charm. However, sometimes I had troubles
> finding useful documentation for it.
> I've also tried to play with PyGTK, it's quite nice and easy (and you
> have the advantage of Glade), but I don't like GTK way of creating GUI.
> I haven't used Tkinter a lot, only looked at it. And I didn't like it much.

How does GTK's way of creating the GUI (I presume you're not talking
look and feel) differ from Qt's?  From what I can see (having developed
large apps in both GTKmm and Qt (C++), they both function the same.  In
other words you create the widget first, then parent it in a container
and add callbacks. Whereas wxPython's approach is somewhat different.

It appears that most wxPython apps setup the GUI programmatically,
whereas Most Qt and Gtk apps tend to use XML-based gui-building
factories.  In this latter case, Glade's method is quite different from
Qt's.