PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Gregor Horvath gh at gregor-horvath.com
Wed May 16 11:14:32 EDT 2007

Eric Brunel schrieb:

> Highly improbable in the general context. If I stumble on a source code
> in Chinese, Russian or Hebrew, I wouldn't be able to figure out a single
> sound.

If you get source code in a programming language that you don't know you
can't figure out a single sound too.
How is that different?

If someone decides to make *his* identifiers in Russian he's taking into
account that none-Russian speakers are not going to be able to read the
code.
If someone decides to program in Fortran he takes into account that the
average Python programmer can not read the code.

How is that different?

It's the choice of the author.
Taking away the choice is not a good thing.
Following this logic we should forbid all other programming languages
except Python so everyone can read every code in the world.

Gregor