Slightly OT: Why all the spam?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue May 22 11:49:57 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 09:08 +0200, bryan rasmussen wrote:
> Well two things I would suppose:
>
> 1. relative popularity and volume of the group leads spammers to put
> more resources towards spamming the group.
>
> 2. I seem to remember that python-list is also a usenet group?
> non-moderated, meaning it is tough to ban people?
>
> Actually, it would be nice to know if anybody has any good filters
> worked up that will work in Gmail for reading python-list.

It appears that people using nntp to read this list aren't seeing the
spam because the moderators expire the messages as they find them.
However, by then the messages have already hit the mailman gateway.
Thus you may want to consider reading c.l.p via nntp when at work.

Lately all the spams contain a url to a certain site, so you can
probably procmail filter based on that.  The spam does not appear to be
random-bot generated, but targeted spam by a single person or entity.
Which makes it easier to filter out.