(Modular-)Application Framework / Rich-Client-Platform in Python

Peter Wang misterwang at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:08:10 EDT 2007

On May 18, 1:10 pm, Wildemar Wildenburger <wilde... at freakmail.de>
wrote:
> I'm not sure, but you guys seem a bit Windows-centric. I have yet to
> find out if the egg-approach actually works for Linux (and Mac, though I
> don't use it) as well.

It does.  We have several linux and mac-based developers here.  (I'm
on a mac most of the time.)  I am currently running most of the ETS
libraries from eggs.  It's certainly true that the large, monolithic
Enthought Python Edition that was offered in the past was only
available for windows, but that's gone now and has been replaced with
the egg-based distribution.

> I've seen some mentioning of binary dependencies,
> which makes me frown a bit. We'll just see.

The Traits package has a small C extension that builds on all
platforms that I've seen.  Most of the other binary dependencies are
for graphical things like the plotting library.  If you just plan to
use Envisage, you won't need those.

> Yeah, I've been reading through that for the past couple of hours, seems
> pretty sweet and reasonably simple.
> I can see your reorg, by the way: The example .py files are not where
> they're advertised to be. Better be quick with that, even solid software
> with buggy documentation is buggy software ... ;)

I'll file a ticket for that. :)

-Peter