PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Tue May 15 08:57:45 EDT 2007

Stefan Behnel schrieb:
> You're not trying to suggest that writing code in a closed area project is a
> bad habit, are you?

I think that the idea that you know today, with 100% certainty, that all
parts of your closed area project will stay closed forever is an
illusion and thus a bad idea, yes.

> What would be bad about allowing a project to decide about the best and
> clearest way to name identifiers?

That very same argument could be used to allow all sorts of "strange
stuff" in Python like gotos and worse. What would be bad about allowing
a project to decide about how to do flow control, especially if you
never get in touch with it?

> And: if it's not a project you will ever getin touch with - what do
you care?

I just fear that I *will* get in touch with identifiers using non-ASCII
symbols if this PEP is implemented.

--
René