PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Wed May 16 04:32:10 EDT 2007

Stefan Behnel schrieb:
>>> - Non-english speakers can not create or understand
>>>   english identifiers hence can't create good code nor
>>>   easily grok existing code.
>> I agree that this is a problem, but please understand that is problem is
>> _not_ solved by allowing non-ASCII identifiers!
>
> Well, as I said before, there are three major differences between the stdlib
> and keywords on one hand and identifiers on the other hand. Ignoring arguments
> does not make them any less true.

BTW: Please stop replying to my postings by E-Mail (in Thunderbird, use
"Reply" in stead of "Reply to all").

I agree that keywords are a different matter in many respects, but the
only difference between stdlib interfaces and other intefaces is that
the stdlib interfaces are part of the stdlib. That's it. You are still
ignoring the fact that, contrary to what has been suggested in this
thread, it is _not_ possible to write "German" or "Chinese" Python
without cluttering it up with many many English terms. It's not only the
stdlib, but also many many third party libraries. Show me one real
Python program that is feasibly written without throwing in tons of
English terms.

Now, very special environments (what I called "rare and isolated"
earlier) like special learning environments for children are a different
matter. It should be ok if you have to use a specially patched Python
branch there, or have to use an interpreter option that enables the
suggested behaviour. For general programming, it IMO is a bad idea.

--
René