python unix install, sqlite3

vasudevram vasudevram at gmail.com
Tue May 29 10:05:56 EDT 2007

On May 29, 5:52 pm, Simon <resmi... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I installed the source code on unix for python 2.5.1. The install went
> mainly okay, except for some failures regarding:
> _ssl, _hashlib, _curses, _curses_panel.
>
> No errors regarding sqlite3.
> However, when I start python and do an import sqlite3 I get:
>
> /ptmp/bin/> python
> Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May 29 2007, 05:19:30)
> [GCC 3.3.2] on sunos5
> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>> import sqlite3
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/ptmp/Python-2.5.1/lib/python2.5/sqlite3/__init__.py", line
> 24, in <module>
>     from dbapi2 import *
>   File "/ptmp/Python-2.5.1/lib/python2.5/sqlite3/dbapi2.py", line 27,
> in <module>
>     from _sqlite3 import *
> ImportError: No module named _sqlite3

Some ideas:

I don't know if sqlite3 comes bundled with the standard Python source
bundle. My guess is not. If not, that's the cause of the error - you
need to install sqlite3 (and probably pysqlite3 (not sure of the name
(whether it has a trailing 3) which, if I remember, is the Python
binding/wrapper for sqlite3 (which is a C library, I think). Other
possible cause of the error (if sqlite3 _is_ bundled with Python and
no Python binding/wrapper is needed, is that sqlite3 depends on one of
those other libraries you mention (such as _hashlib) for which you got
errors while installing Python from source.

HTH
Vasudev Ram
Dancing Bison Enterprises
www.dancingbison.com