PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Tue May 15 05:58:35 EDT 2007

Stefan Behnel schrieb:
> I agree that code posted to comp.lang.python should use english identifiers
> and that it is worth considering to use english identifiers in open source
> code that is posted to a public OS project site. Note that I didn't say "ASCII
> identifiers" but plain english identifiers. All other code should use the
> language and encoding that fits its environment best.

Unless you are 150% sure that there will *never* be the need for a
person who does not know your language of choice to be able to read or
modify your code, the language that "fits the environment best" is English.

I simply doubt that the problem which this PEP wants to solve actually
exists. If you know so little English that you really need non-ASCII
identifiers, you will have a very hard time programming Python anyway.

My native language is German, and in code I cooperate on with other
Germans, I still use English identifiers, even if I am "quite sure" that
no non-German will ever have to read the code. It also makes it easier
and more beautiful for me if my code uses the same natural language as
the stdlib and third party modules do. I do not need non-ASCII
characters in Python identifiers.

--
René