Need Help in Preparing for Study of Python by Forrester Research

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Wed May 2 14:10:37 EDT 2007

Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:

> Initially, they'd like feedback (not yet the answers themselves) from
> us regarding their proposed evaluation criteria - questions to add or
> that give no value, rewording to make them more clear.  I've posted
> their draft criteria, which came as a spreadsheet at:
>
>   http://dfwpython.org/uploads/ForresterPrep/DynamicLanguagesCriteria.x
>   ls

That's a somewhat weird definition of polymorphism:

> Polymorphism
> Does the language support polymorphic behavior?
> Measured by support for polymorphics behavior 5 = functions/methods
> can be overridden and the developer can define identical function
> names with different parameter sets. 1 = functions cannot be
> overridden but identical function names with different parameter sets
> can be defined 0 = functions cannot be overridden and only one
> function can be defined with a given function name

Polymorphism means you can write a single function which operates with
different data types, not that you can override methods or write multiple
functions with the same name (that is known as overloading).

Overriding and overloading are different things than polymorphism. If you
want a separate question about overriding then your criteria are still a
bit strange: Python methods can be overridden but not overloaded[*] so none
of your possible answers applies.

[*] Unless you write some code to support overloading, which is easy enough
to do but not something most people bother with.