PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Gregor Horvath gh at gregor-horvath.com
Sat May 19 00:20:33 EDT 2007

sjdevnull at yahoo.com schrieb:

> opposed.  But dismissing the fact that Outlook and other quite common
> tools may have severe problems with code seems naive (or disingenuous,
> but I don't think that's the case here).

Of course there is broken software out there. There are even editors
that mix tabs and spaces ;-) Python did not introduce braces to solve
this problem but encouraged to use appropriate tools. It seems to work
for 99% of us. Same here.
It is the 21st century. Tools that destroy Unicode byte streams are
seriously broken. Face it. You can not halt progress because of some
broken software. Fix or drop it instead.

I do not think that this will be a big problem because only a very small
fraction of specialized local code will use Unicode identifiers anyway.

Unicode strings and comments are allowed today and I didn't heard of a
single issue of destroyed strings because of bad editors, although I
guess that Unicode strings in code are way more common than Unicode
identifiers would ever be.

Gregor