Issue of redirecting the stdout to both file and screen

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 28 06:45:51 EDT 2007

En Mon, 28 May 2007 06:17:39 -0300, 人言落日是天涯,望极天涯不见家
<kelvin.you at gmail.com> escribió:

> I wanna print the log to both the screen and file, so I simulatered a
> 'tee'
>
> class Tee(file):
>
>     def __init__(self, name, mode):
>         file.__init__(self, name, mode)
>         self.stdout = sys.stdout
>         sys.stdout = self
>
>     def __del__(self):
>         sys.stdout = self.stdout
>         self.close()
>
>     def write(self, data):
>         file.write(self, data)
>         self.stdout.write(data)
>
> Tee('logfile', 'w')
> print >>sys.stdout, 'abcdefg'
>
> I found that it only output to the file, nothing to screen. Why?
> It seems the 'write' function was not called when I *print* something.

You create a Tee instance and it is immediately garbage collected. I'd
restore sys.stdout on Tee.close, not __del__ (you forgot to call the
inherited __del__ method, btw).
Mmm, doesn't work. I think there is an optimization somewhere: if it looks
like a real file object, it uses the original file write method, not yours.
The trick would be to use an object that does NOT inherit from file:

import sys
class TeeNoFile(object):
     def __init__(self, name, mode):
         self.file = open(name, mode)