PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Gregor Horvath gh at gregor-horvath.com
Thu May 17 14:30:06 EDT 2007

Istvan Albert schrieb:

> After the first time that your programmer friends need fix a trivial
> bug in a piece of code that does not display correctly in the terminal
> I can assure you that their mellow acceptance will turn to something
> entirely different.

Is there any difference for you in debugging this code snippets?

class Türstock(object):
   höhe = 0
   breite = 0
   tiefe = 0

   def _get_fläche(self):
     return self.höhe * self.breite

   fläche = property(_get_fläche)

#-----------------------------------

class Tuerstock(object):
   hoehe = 0
   breite = 0
   tiefe = 0

   def _get_flaeche(self):
     return self.hoehe * self.breite

   flaeche = property(_get_flaeche)

I can tell you that for me and for my costumers this makes a big difference.

Whether this PEP gets accepted or not I am going to use German
identifiers and you have to be frightened to death by that fact ;-)

Gregor