PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 15:37:44 EDT 2007

On May 16, 12:54 pm, Gregor Horvath <g... at gregor-horvath.com> wrote:
> Istvan Albert schrieb:
>
> > Here is something that just happened and relates to this subject: I
> > had to help a student run some python code on her laptop, she had
> > Windows XP that hid the extensions. I wanted to set it up such that
> > the extension is shown. I don't have XP in front of me but when I do
> > it takes me 15 seconds to do it. Now her Windows was set up with some
> > asian fonts (Chinese, Korean not sure), looked extremely unfamiliar
> > and I had no idea what the menu systems were. We have spent quite a
> > bit of time figuring out how to accomplish the task. I had her read me
> > back the options, but something like "hide extensions" comes out quite
> > a bit different. Surprisingly tedious and frustrating experience.
>
> So the solution is to forbid Chinese XP ?

It's one solution, depending on your support needs.

Independent of Python, several companies I've worked at in Ecuador
(entirely composed of native Spanish-speaking Ecuadoreans) use the
English-language OS/application installations--they of course have the
Spanish dictionaries and use Spanish in their documents, but for them,
having localized application menus generates a lot more problems than
it solves.