How to output newline or carriage return with optparse

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Nov 8 11:46:49 EST 2007

> I'm trying to implement some simple command line options.
> Some of the 'help' sections are long and I would like to
> control line breaks.  How do you do this?

I had this problem earlier and solved it here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/6df6e6b541a15bc2/09f28e26af0699b1

thanks to a little guidance from Ben Finney on where to look.

It came up again last month here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/e72deee779d9989b/

which should solve the problem for you.

ASIDE:  I've started refactoring this bit out in my local
source...how would I go about contributing it back to the Python
code-base?  I didn't get any feedback from posting to the Optik
site.  My refactor basically takes an optional pre-processing
function to parse your string into the output that gets passed to
textwrap.wrap() and textwrap.fill(), defaulting to the old
behavior, but offering a function for splitting it into
paragraphs based on newlines.

-tkc